September 6, 2009

Diaper rash remedies

Recently, we switched our youngest daughter back to cloth diapers after fighting a terrible diaper rash that lasted several weeks. The rash broke out while she was wearing a well known brand of plastic diapers and no matter what we did, we couldn’t get rid of it. We’d use a common remedy and it would start to look better, then come right back. We used a lot of different remedies but finally realized yeast had crept in so we used an antifungal cream and coated her bum with a zinc oxide cream made by Burt’s Bees. This finally did the trick.

This got me thinking about different diaper rash remedies I’ve heard. While I often hear of all the mainstream ones that include Butt Paste, Desitin and other petroleum based products, I haven’t heard a lot of options for natural methods of dealing with diaper rash.

We used the following:
1. Water rinse only – no wipes
2. Diaper free bum
3. Hairdryer on low to really dry her bum before putting cream on
4. Garden salve (sold by www.chakra4.com)
5. Lotrimin (not natural but it worked)
6. Burt’s Bees zinc oxide cream – though I didn’t think it created the barrier I was hoping for, at least it didn’t clog her already tortured skin with mineral oils.
7. One remedy I discovered after her rash healed is diluted apple cider vinegar in a water spray bottle. Yeast does NOT like vinegar. It works like a charm.

I’d love to hear other natural, herbal, homeopathic options for dealing with this problem. Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...