November 12, 2010

Why Buy Local? And - What's Going on in Phoenix This Weekend!

I love buying local. You probably already know this because I talk about it in this blog all the time. If you talk to me in person, you might have to ask me to change the subject because I'll definitely go on and on about the great businesses we have here in Phoenix. But why is this so important to me? I'm SO glad you asked.  Obviously, I have a lot to say on this subject.

I grew up here in Phoenix. And, while the beaches of Cali and the rainy ways of Colorado or Oregon call to me for vacation, I really just love the Valley of the Sun. The huge expanse of blue sky filled with puffy white clouds, the hiking trails, the sunsets, the great weather (Come on! It's incredible 9 months out of the year!) and the casual lifestyle all fit me perfectly. In addition, I have roots here and have friends from all over Arizona and thanks to Facebook, I get to see how they intersect with each other in the most amazing ways. I love staying in touch with all of them and knowing they're still here, making a life for themselves and their families in my hometown.


There are a lot of reasons I could site for my choice to buy local, from environment to quality to economy.


First, I get to meet new people and learn about their lives/history/goals/dreams all the time (which I LOVE!)

Second, I know that what I buy is usually going to be better quality because that business will only see me again and get my vote of confidence if what I've purchased works and lasts.

Third, I genuinely love the creative talents exhibited everywhere in Phoenix. I hate when people say Phoenix has no culture. It's just not true. There are so many amazingly gifted artists, performers, boutique owners, chefs and various business owners in Phoenix, I'll literally NEVER be able to list them all. For the most part, if you can dream it, you can probably buy it here.

Fourth, I am financially supporting my neighbors (and myself) when I spend my money at a local business. Spending local makes a HUGE difference in how much money stays in the local economy. According to Local First, $73 of every $100 spent locally stays in our community - in wages, taxes, local business services etc. Spending that same $100 at a non-locally owned business will only put $43 back into our community. My little contribution makes a huge difference to my neighbors! For more about how our individual purchases can help our own community, check out ShiftArizona, Shift the Way You Shop.

My biggest reason is Community. Buying local connects me to my neighbors in an amazing way.

 Are you tired of hearing about local business yet? I hope not because I'm getting ready to post a lot more about it.

Here are a few exciting things going on in Phoenix this weekend!

Local First Fall Festival -
Local First Arizona is a non-profit organization focused on strengthening local economy by supporting, promoting and celebrating local businesses. Tomorrow Local First is hosting a local fall fest featuring free food, live music, fun stuff for kids, shopping and lots of local businesses. The fun starts at 10 and lasts till 3 pm at Duck and Decanter - 16th Street and Camelback.

Chow Bella & Roosevelt Row's Pie Social
Now this sounds like something right up my alley! Entry fee is $10 or two homemade pies. Event is in the Roosevelt Row Arts District and lasts from 2-6 pm. Proceeds benefit Kenilworth Elementary Schools after school programs. Good will and good pie - all in one event. Yum.

Phoenix Annual Parade of the Arts 2010
In this event - YOU are the art at a parade supporting the "arts and culture that are a vital part of Downtown" Phoenix. Be part of supporting the downtown community and dress up, ride a bike, make a little float. Whatever. Meet some new people and have fun with your kids. This event will be right next to the pie social - so eat some pie and then walk in the parade! Even Mayor Phil Gordon is supposed to be at this event. I wonder if he'll wear a costume?


As usual, support local events and businesses by posting this on Facebook or Twitter and feel free to send me information about upcoming local events. I'll do my best to post them. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for blogging about Hullabaloo 2010! It was such a fun event. Thanks for featuring Lemonberry Kiss!

    Nikki for LBK
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/lemonberrykiss

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...