February 11, 2011

Local Last Minute Fun For This Weekend - Feb 12, 2011

This was a long week for us. My girls were sick at the beginning and I've spent the last few days cleaning up from the fallout of not doing any housework during sick people time. It seems like laundry and dirt explodes when my family is sick! Then, today - as I was working on my already - last - minute - links, my still recovering two year old asked, "Mommy will you hold me while I sleep?" What do you think I said?

Since I know some of you had a similar week but will be ready to get out in the fresh air this weekend, I couldn't let the Valentine weekend pass without listing a few fun things/places to see. Keep it local! You'll be surprised how much fun it is.

Chakra 4 Herb and Tea House Chocolate Festival - Feb 12 from 11:00am - 6:00pm
Several of you are familiar with one of my favorite shops in town. We visit Chakra 4 for many of our herbal needs - to stay healthy. But, they also have a great little cafe and hold fun events like this one for Valentine's Day. If you haven't had their chocolate, you are really missing out! For more info on Chakra 4, visit their Facebook page: Chakra 4

Central Phoenix Seed Swap Feb 12th from 1 to 3 PM
Downtown Phoenix Public Market - inside the store by the front windows, 721 North Central Ave, Phoenix
For those of you interested in gardening, this is a great opportunity. Get seeds for free!! Even if you don't have seeds to share, you're invited to participate in this event.

Cibo Pizzeria - Regular hours on website
603 N. 5th Avenue Tel. 602-441-2697
Located in a charming downtown bungalow, Cibo serves deee-licious artisan pizzas, great salads and antipasto. I especially love that their crusts are not so bread-y they take away from the flavors on top. I've had several of their pizzas and have never been disappointed. And, I have to be honest. At this point in my life, I'm not so into the ultra dark spaces that are usually considered "romantic". Usually, for my husband and I - that's a recipe for falling asleep by dessert. This space has a nice ambience but enough energy and movement going on that you'll stay awake through dinner and maybe even make it through dessert! Their patio is lovely in a garden-like atmosphere usually sports outdoor heaters in cooler weather. If you're looking for reasonable prices, a casual atmosphere and delicious food to celebrate your love this weekend, Cibo's is a great pick.

Central Slope - This weekend!
8801 N. Central Ave (Central just south of Dunlap)
Since I'm on a roll with businesses beginning with C, here's another. Central Slope is a great, locally owned business that features locally made green goods. This is right up my alley. It's a wonderful place to find a locally made present for your loved one this weekend and features items for the home (think design) or the body - local jewelry or body care by Zaaina Skincare. Zaaina is offering a buy 1, get one 50% off this weekend. Also, if you spend $30 or more at Central Slope this weekend, you'll get a handmade designer jewelry set.

The Garage by Ivy / Juju's Tutu's and Invu Photography Valentine's Day Grand Opening
February 12 · 10:00am - 5:00pm
5202 N 7th Street
This weekend, visit the grand opening of the above shops' location. These are some seriously talented people! Here, you can find artistically designed floral arrangements (check out their website gallery!), incredibly cute girly tutus and a photographer to document the occasion (you need an appointment but you can always check them out first!), this is a great one-stop-shop. I happen to know one of the amazing women who run this shop - and can say you're also supporting at least one local mom.

All these businesses are locally owned AND feature items made by other local artists or business owners. Remember that when you spend money at a locally owned business rather than a big box store or chain restaurant, more of that money goes back into improving the health of Arizona's economy. If you can't make it this weekend - support them in the next few months!!

Besides, these are all great businesses and offer high quality food or services. Go out and meet your neighbors. It's going to be a beautiful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...