February 3, 2011

Apple Pie in a Pan

Some of you saw my post on Facebook about this dish (I almost can't call it a recipe!). It's my lazy girl way of making pie because
1. I don't like to mess with pie crust with children around me in the kitchen. They always distract me either with cuteness or frequent requests and I invariably mess up some part of the recipe.
2. This has less carb/fat in it than pie - but it tastes DELICIOUS.

Even better, the overall cooking time is only a few minutes - maybe 6-10 - depending on how many apples you use. And, some of you may not like this - but it's not super exacting in measurements because it's meant to taste as sweet/spiced as YOU like it to taste. Be careful, this dish is addicting!

Finally, I'm posting this tonight as a favor to a friend - so no pics 'cause I'm not actually making it right now. Apparently, I'm feeling too lazy to even make a lazy dessert... haha! I'll try to add pics later.

Apple Pie in a Pan
Cooking time: As fast as you can cut up your apples + 6-10 minutes more

Apples - 1-1 1/2 per person - Any kind but I like to mix up Granny Smith with the sweeter apples like Fuji, Gala, Pink Lady etc.
Cinnamon or Pumpkin pie spice
Coconut oil or butter
chopped pecans (if you like!)
1 T. (or less) Sweetener of choice - maple syrup (the real kind!), brown sugar or honey (we use honey)

Equipment - Knife, Saute pan or wok

Instructions
1. Core and slice apples as thick or as thin as you like them (I like them 1/2-3/4 inch thick)

2. Heat a saute pan to medium heat and toast the pecans for just around a minute or so. They'll start to smell good. QUICK! Take them out before they burn.

3. Place the pan back on the heat and put just enough oil or butter in it to make it slippery - probably around 2 teaspoons. Just enough to keep the apples from sticking to the pan, not to fry them. A wok is better because you'll need less oil/butter.

4. Throw in your apples and saute them till they start to get kinda soft. Then, shake some pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon over them. If you're just making one or two apples, go light on the spice until you reach the flavor you like. Don't be afraid to taste an apple just to be sure.

5. When the apples are just shy of the consistency you want, add just a little sweetener and stir gently stir it until it melts into the apples. The idea is to keep the flavor of the apples intact and preserve the healthiness of the dish - not melt sugar all over it!  If you use a sweet apple, you hardly need any!

Regarding cooking shape - I like my apples to be soft enough that when you stick a fork in 'em, it slides out easily but the apples keeps their shape.

6. Remove the apples from heat and top with pecans. 

7. Eat

See? Lazy girl pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...