April 28, 2010

The Sweet Scent of Friendship


Yesterday started just like any other beautiful day. My youngest woke, cheerful and smiling, then leaned over me to wake our four year old. I enjoyed the moment as they greeted each other with laughter. Then, my smallest looked up and said as clear as day, "Ceiling!" Twice. I was so proud. She's really speaking so well - even using phrases! Then, she said it again - and squinted her eyes like she was looking at something. I glanced in that direction - and did a double take. She was looking at something. A BIG, yucky something crawling slowly down our wall. First cockroach of the season. UGH. (Big shudder!!)

And so our day began.

After the chaos and squeals of horror (the girls' and mine) that ensued when I dispatched the nasty thing, we decided we'd all feel much better if we showered. Aaaah. We were soon dressed and ready for breakfast. Since my husband had to leave the house early, I was on my own getting everyone fed, dressed, packed and out of the house on time. I must have kicked myself into supermom mode because we weren't rushed and I got to storytime (my Tuesday job) early. Despite the "ucky" start to my day, it went great!

The rest of the day moved between typical blips of normal busy-ness, stressed mom and moments of fun. Busy - trying to get my girls home so my youngest could take a morning nap - and missing my window of opportunity. Fun - laughter watching my girls play. Stress - because I made a ridiculously complicated lunch, knowing the cleanup would make getting out of the house on time tight. Busy - racing to clean up before leaving. Fun - watching my very unstressed four year old, SSLLLOOOWWWLLLYYY dance and sing her way to the car (when we needed to leave!). Irked (at myself) - when I realized we were running a few minutes late. Fun - watching my daughter and her friends make up their own dance moves to the music from Sharktales. By the time the day ended, we were all tired and I was ready for a break.

So, I planned to use my "night out" to work on my blog, surf sites I love and just veg at my favorite coffee shop. Instead, I impulsively called a friend from college. We've been trying to connect for a while but between small fry, work and life in general, we have had trouble finding time. Amazingly, she was free too - so instead of blogging, I shut off my computer and we visited for hours. And I'm so glad we did.

This friend is a one cool woman. She is intellectually stimulating, funny, optimistic, thoughtful, strong and compassionate.The kind of woman you want your daughters to know and emulate. The kind of person I want to know and emulate.

We had a great time. For me, conversations like this are so few and far between in these days occupied with diapers, cleaning, babies and routine.We stayed up late, relishing the intoxicating feeling of connecting with a person with whom we could each be completely honest. Though we talked long past my bedtime, when we parted with laughter and a hug, I felt refreshed and reminded of who I really am, not just what I do all day.

I guess I just wanted to capture this moment in writing and not take for granted how awesome it is to have a friend who can not only handle who I am, she actually loves me for it.

Friendship. What a rare and powerful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...