May 11, 2011

Caught in Another Car Parade - More Cool Stuff to Do in Phoenix

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind of activities for our family. It seems like every year, we have all these plans to get to some of the great local events that are happening in Phoenix during the beautiful spring weather. But, we have so many family birthday parties and kids parties and events that we are booked up almost every weekend.

Last week, we did attend a local event as a family on accident. On our way home from the Macayo's on Central where we'd attended the third party of the weekend, this one a family member's, my daughters noticed classic cars passing us on the road. My 2 year old kept shouting, "Look, Mom!!! Old fashioned cars!!!" We realized there was a classic car event going on as car after car cruised past us.

Dad would have loved this one!
I know it's not very organic of this mama to love old fashioned, gas-guzzling cars, but it's in my blood. My car-loving dad was born in 1929 and he could recite a list of every car he'd ever driven - along with all the options like the white walled tires, interior and exterior colors, leather/cloth, engine type and horsepower. He knew when car models changed style and what had been changed. He and his brother memorized these kinds of things as a game when they were kids and he never lost his love for it. So, my girls are used to me shouting out - "Woohoo!! Look at that car!" when we see something older than 40 years go by us.



It's no surprise then that when we saw all these beauts passing by us, we turned the car around and followed them. It reminded me of the time I got caught in another kind of motor procession - though this one was not for a serious occasion. As we traveled, we got caught up in the excitement of the moment and exclaimed at all the colors and models we liked best as well as the thousands of people lining central. People cheered and aahhhed as the cars went past. In fact, we got so caught up, we failed to realize we were one of the few modern cars on the road. Haha!! The car aficionados got a real treat as we cruised next to a James Bond car in our 2000 Toyota Camry with two little girls practicing their princess wave out the windows!


Just one more cool thing available in Phoenix if you're looking for an activity. When I googled to find the event, I found quite a few classic car shows going on in the next few months. So, if you missed it, just look around, you'll find another.

I think this black and red one is just my style!

 I know my dad would have had fun with us this weekend. Who knows, maybe he was calling out the car models with us as we drove!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, those car shows can be fun. You can pick up a lot of interesting stories from the owners. Like your dad, a lot of people seem to have memories of the old cars they've driven before...

    -Ivo Beutler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your dad is a real car enthusiast! It's fascinating to meet people like him. I’m sure I can learn a thing or two from him if I ever get to spend time with him. I definitely want to meet him, if only to have the honor to shake his hand.

    Elmas Schreier

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...